Sunday, January 11, 2009

My New Camera (Part 1)

Pete and I have been thinking about getting a new camera for a while now. We knew that we wanted to have one for our trip to Halifax this summer and we thought it would make sense to buy it ahead of time so we could practice using it. Because of all the great deals just prior to Christmas, we decided it was time to take the plunge.  Of course, it wasn't as easy as that to decide on a camera. There are so many great ones out there which are all so similar and yet slightly different, so it was hard to find the perfect one for us.  Armed with our wish list, we visited Henry's, a highly-recommended camera store where the Canon Powershot G10 was suggested to us. After doing some research on our own, we decided that it was the perfect camera for our needs, very customizable with lots of features but also simple to use. The Christmas holidays proved the perfect opportunity to play with our new toy.

Warning, the rest of this post is pretty picture heavy (click to embiggen).

Pete took this shot from the car when we were driving from his parents' house to mine on Christmas day.  I love how the sunbeams are breaking through the clouds.


Here's a picture of Cleo rockin' the macro setting. She spent most of the time she was at my parents' house without us hiding under the foam on the bed, only emerging for food. This picture was done without flash, relying on the light from the bedside lamp. 

I love being able to take pictures of the Christmas tree without flash. It makes everything look so much truer to life. 

Here we are making use of the self-timer feature in order to send a picture to my brother who was in Tanzania over Christmas. We miss you, Neil!!

Pete is the more adventurous one with the camera (I usually stick to point and shoot, though I have started to play with some features, more on this in the second post). In this shot, he was experimenting with a really long exposure. Partway through, Cleo decided to wander in and lie down in front of the camera resulting in the ghostly image. 

That's it for now. I hope everything had a lovely weekend. I'm going to go knit in front of the tv for the rest of my Sunday. More on what I'm knitting on WIP Wednesday (something I'm going to try).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fancy new camera! I love that picture of Cleo.

stephanie said...

i too like the picture of cleo under the mattress.

i'm also a big fan of taking sky pictures. i probably have tons scattered throughout my hard drive!

Heather G. said...

That cat sure loves sleeping under foam! My cats apparently spent their Christmas vacation under the covers of our bed at mom and dad's!

Anonymous said...

I still think the one of Cleo is quite brilliantly shot. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! I don't really *need* a new camera, but boy do I want one!
That picture of Cleo is gorgeous!